August 21, 2026

Polestar $25M Lawsuit: What Owners Need to Know

By Robert R Guio

A New Jersey Polestar dealer has sued the electric automaker for at least $25 million, turning Polestar’s shrinking American future into something larger than a sales story.

Prestige Imports, which operates Prestige Polestar, alleges Polestar engineered its U.S. exit by failing to do enough to satisfy federal regulators before the Commerce Department denied authorization for 2027-model-year vehicles. The lawsuit says the company then used that denial to justify ending the franchise relationship. Polestar has declined to comment on the litigation.

For consumers, the important point is simpler: owning a Polestar does not suddenly become a problem because this lawsuit exists. The cars remain legal to own and drive, and Polestar says customers will continue receiving service and software support.

You may also like: Is Polestar Finished In The United States?

What Happens to Current Polestar Owners?

The immediate risk is not that warranties disappear. Polestar’s current warranty terms cover manufacturing defects for four years or 50,000 miles, while the battery and electric motors are covered for eight years or 100,000 miles.

Polestar has also said its U.S. service network will remain in place. Many American service points are connected to Volvo dealerships, giving the brand useful existing infrastructure.

Polestar’s $25M Lawsuit and What it Means for Owners

The concern is what happens over time. If new-car sales end, dealerships have less financial incentive to maintain dedicated Polestar operations. Owners could face longer service trips, slower parts availability and fewer familiar technicians. Resale values could also become more volatile.

Federal safety recall obligations do not simply vanish because a manufacturer stops selling new cars. The practical question is whether service capacity remains convenient.

You may also like: Will Polestar Survive? Here’s What They Told Us.

Why the $25 Million Lawsuit Matters

Prestige’s lawsuit attacks the way Polestar is leaving, not merely the fact that it may leave.

The federal Connected Vehicle Rule restricts certain vehicles and technology tied to China or Russia, and Polestar is majority-owned by China’s Geely. The Commerce Department denied Polestar authorization to sell affected vehicles beginning with the 2027 model year.

Prestige alleges Polestar had been contemplating a U.S. withdrawal for roughly two years and failed to pursue regulatory options aggressively enough. Those are allegations, not established facts.

Polestar’s $25M Lawsuit and What it Means for Owners

That distinction matters because New Jersey franchise law generally requires advance notice and “good cause” before a manufacturer can terminate a franchise. Prestige argues it did nothing wrong and should not carry the financial cost of Polestar’s departure.

The case is still at an early stage. A $25 million demand is not a $25 million judgment. Prestige is also seeking five years of continued parts and warranty support, a remedy that could directly matter to owners if granted.

You may also like: Should America Permanently Ban Chinese Cars?

A Warning for Automakers Rethinking U.S. Production

For other automakers, this case is a reminder that leaving America can be more complicated than stopping production or shipments.

State franchise laws can create obligations involving dealers, inventory, facilities and termination notices. Warranty, parts and recall support continue to matter after the final new vehicle is delivered. Closing a U.S. factory while continuing to sell the brand is different; this case matters most when a franchise or brand relationship itself is ending.

Polestar also shows that assembling a car in America may not solve every regulatory problem. The Polestar 3 has been produced at Volvo’s South Carolina plant, yet the connected-vehicle restrictions reach beyond final assembly to ownership and technology relationships.

Polestar’s $25M Lawsuit and What it Means for Owners

That may encourage automakers to localize more than factories. Ford is moving some Lincoln production from China to the United States, while General Motors plans a similar move for the Buick Envision. Software, ownership and compliance increasingly matter alongside the factory address.

The bigger lesson is that how an automaker prepares dealers and protects owners may determine whether an orderly retreat becomes years of litigation.

For Polestar owners, there is no reason to panic today. But service access, software support, parts supply and resale values are now worth watching more closely.

Author

  • Test Miles covers the car industry, from new cars to giving potential buyers all the background and information on buying a new vehicle. Nik has been giving car reviews for 20+ years and is a leading expert in the industry.

    View all posts